Saturday, June 25, 2005

WiTT Down But Not Out: "

I’ve been moving the TWiT web site - twit.tv or thisWEEKinTECH.com - to a new dedicated server. The idea was to put it on its own machine so it wouldn’t slow down leoville.com or leoville.tv (they’re on a shared server right now). leovilletownsquare.com has its own server.



The sites transferred over ok yesterday but something seems to be wrong today, and Vizaweb hasn’t been exactly responsive to my ‘emergency’ requests. Not sure what’s going on over there, but I’m looking for new hosting as quickly as possible and I hope we’ll have the site back up soon. Meanwhile watch this site for updates.



Sorry about this guys.



UPDATE: I’ve talked with Vizaweb and there’s not much we can do about it. It’s not a bandwidth issue - it’s an i/o issue. With 30 people per second hitting the site it’s just like a big DOS attack - except it’s real requests. You can help by using your podcasting client to get the latest TWiT episodes instead of trying to get them by hand. We’re going to find a host that specializes in this kind of traffic. Meanwhile the servers my other sites are running on are more than adequate, so I’ll keep them at Vizaweb. It’s just that TWiT is so much bigger than all the rest. The price of success I guess!

"


No comments: